10. November 2010 16:47
This guide has been tested for Grandstream phones with firmware version 22.214.171.124. Be aware that different firmware revisions may have different web interface formats and functionality. This guide is applicable to the following Grandstream phone models: GXP 280, 285, 1200, 2000, 2010, 2020.
The easiest way to set up a phone for use with 3CX PhoneSystem is to use the built-in provisioning functionality inside 3CX PhoneSystem. This will allow the phone to configure itself by retrieving a 3cx-generated phone configuration file.
This is a 3-step process:
- Enable provisioning for an extension to create the phone's configuration files
- Tell the phone where to get its configuration files from.
- Optionally configure advanced options such as Time Zone from the Phone Provisioning node
Enabling Provisioning for an Extension
- Select the extension you want to provision and go to the "Phone Provisioning" tab
- In the "MAC Address" field, enter the phone's 12-character MAC Address. This information is normally printed on the back of the phone.
- In the "Model" field, select the model number of the phone you want to provision.
- Select the preferred display language for the phone. (Note Language packs need to be downloaded and placed in the firmware folder in 3CX.*)
- If your 3CX Phone System machine has multiple network interfaces, select the interface IP Address through which the phone will be connecting to the 3CX PhoneSystem machine using the "Select Interface" drop down. You can skip this step if you have only one network card in your 3CX Phone System machine.
- Click on the "OK" button at the bottom of the page to create the configuration files. These will be created in a folder on the web server, and picked up by the phone upon boot-up.
Getting the Phone to Retrieve its Configuration Files
Now the phones must be manually told to download the configuration files from the central server. To do this:
- Start up the phone and identify its IP Address from the LCD display. For this example we will assume the IP Address of the phone is 10.172.0.100, and the IP Address of the 3CX PhoneSystem machine is 10.172.0.15
- Point your browser to the web interface of the phone: http://10.172.0.100. The default password is "admin".
- Go to the "Advanced Settings" page and scroll down to the "Firmware Upgrade and Provisioning" section
- Set the "Upgrade Via" field to "HTTP"
- Set the "Config Server Path" field to:
http://10.172.0.15/management/provisioning/ if you selected IIS as your webserver
http://10.172.0.15:5481/provisioning/ if you selected Abyss as your webserver.
- Set the "Allow DHCP Option43 and Option66 to override server" field to "no"
- Click the "Update" button at the bottom of the page, and then click the "Reboot" button. Your phone will restart. After rebooting, the phone will retrieve its configuration files and register with the 3CX Phone System. This can be verified via the "Extension Status" page of the 3CX Management Console.
Advanced configuration options (Time Zone, DST, Firmwares)
You can configure Time Zone, DST and other options from the Phone provisioning node. From here you can also edit the provisioning templates and include custom configuration options into the templates. Phone firmwares can also be upgraded network wide.
*Note: For language display changes the appropriate language packs need to be downloaded and placed in the firmware folder using the 3CX Management console, "Phone provisioning" node, "Firmware" tab, and click on the "Add firmware" button.
Available language pack download for Grandstream phones. Extract the zip contents and place the language pack files in the firmware folder. 2 files are needed per language. Do not rename the actual language files because these were modified to work with 3CX Phone System.
Older firmwares might not support language changes. For more info check the Grandstream website here.